Friday, July 9, 2010

Google Tools

Wow, did I learn a lot! I just checked out the tutorial on Google Tools and there was so many things that I just DID NOT know. I'll be completely honest and say that going into the link, I thought I wasn't going to learn anything knew from this tutorial but instead, I learned so much.

My favorite of the Google tools has to be Google Reader. First, I didn't even know it existed. :-/
Secondly, this has to be one of the best tools because every site that you frequently visit is implanted onto this one site. You don't have to go further than the one page.

The best tool for the classroom, I think, would be Google Docs. I think the students would think they are completely involved in the implementation of texts or documents in the classroom. It's also great because, as the Education 2.0 video showed us, Students of the 21st century want to be engaged and they are itching for technology as a way of engaging them. This would be a great tool because they are on the computer completing the tasks they need. Also, they do not have to worry about Flash drives and disks; they can simply upload presentations, documents, and papers onto Google Docs and they can edit it at home, school or at a friends house. This app is also great for teacher to teacher networking. Lesson plans can be shared and various documets or resources cna be shared via Google Docs.

The Best part is these apps are FREE. How much better can it get?

My proposal to a principal would be:

Mr./Ms. [Insert Name Here],
Google Tools has many different apps that every teacher can utilize in their classroom. Google Earth could be used by History teachers to view the different geographic locations of certain events while English Teachers can use it to show the various different places Shakespeare's settings took place. Google Docs can be used by teachers and students alike, demolishing the need for Flash drives and disks. Students wouldn't have many excuses for not handing in a paper or project since they would have to type it on the computer anyway. They would also be learning the effective art of editing :). Teachers can use this app for networking and sharing resources and lesson plans that work. Blogger can be used for reflections while Google Talk can keep everyone communicating. The best part is that all of these applications are absolutely FREE. It would be great to implement into the classroom and I hope you consider allowing the teachers and students to collaborate using these tools.

Thank you Google for making every one's life that much easier!

1 comment:

  1. Concey-

    You're so right...Google is really an amazing resource. Like you, I never knew how helpful it could be...I thought it was just another search engine. Silly me

    ReplyDelete